Configuration

"between the good and the bad is where

you'll find me reaching for heaven"















FrenshiPath

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Friendship tickers

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Japan Tsunami... and Aceh-Tangse Flood: Friday's Disasters

I was at my office this afternoon when I saw a national tv released a report from BMKG (Indonesian Meteorological, Climatological and Geophysical Agency) saying that a massive quake happened in Japan and could trigger the tsunami to the eastern Indonesia. That was shocking, for sure. But, I have no idea how massive the quake was so that it would cause tsunami waves to my country. Until I read a web article.

The article reported a giant tsunami has hit northen Japan following a devastating 8.9 richter scale earthquake. I was like, OH MY GOD. I just watched the BMKG released statement about the quake, and WHOOSH...a few minutes later, an article came out saying that the tsunami has happened. I was so sorry to know that. 
Tsunami waves hit coastal area in Japan

I remembered my Japanese friend who is currently working at Narita airport which, I believe, is situated near Tokyo area. But, I didn't know how to contact her, so I couldn't find out her about. Also, I asked my other friend who lives in Shizuoka whether Shizuoka was hit or not, and thankfully, she replied (just right at the moment I typed this post) that she is okay, even though it was really terrifying.

Seeing the tidal waves from the bird-view tv images as the 'white lines' moved to the shores felt differently than seeing it up close. Because, I've experienced being 'swallowed' by the tsunami when it devastated my province, Aceh, on December 26, 2004. Well, you can count me as a tsunami survivor at the time. Yes. Plus, people said that for me being healthy and alive with no injured marks on my body even after almost drown in the dirty-thick-black tsunami water was a miracle, and of course, a God's bless.

My closemates remarked that 'supposedly' I was not the type of a person who could survive at such  between death-and-life situation. So, we concluded that I was one of a kind. Haha. I didn't know if they praised me, or still couldn't believe I could manage to escape from death. By God's permission, certainly. No kidding.
flash flood in Tangse

On the other hand, almost at the same time with my receiving news of Japan's tsunami, Tangse, about half an hour driving from my hometown Sigli, a part of Pidie district, Aceh province, has been experiencing a quite similar disaster, only with slightly a different term, the flash flood.

Actually, the news reported that the flood has begun since Thursday, and on Friday, it got worse. The local gov't has tried to evacuate the people, and because Tangse (or Pidie) has  very limited capability in disaster management, so the evacuation might need more helps from others. And, it might result in becoming a national disaster. Oh, what a news!

Really.
Two major disasters.
On Friday. (not a good day to hear such happenings, anyway)
*SIGH*
Who should be blamed? Haha...
What am I thinking...

No comments:

Post a Comment